The Most Effective Diet Plan During Breastfeeding ✌🏻
Hello 🐮 dairy Mammas. You have been lied to! Not by me, I always tell you the truth. Breastfeeding doesn’t make you lose weight! Yes, you do burn around 850 calories per day while breastfeeding, YES, it helps your uterus shrink faster, but breastfeeding (which is amazing and have so so so many benefits for you and your child) makes you hungry and since you will most probably satisfy your hunger with carbs, breastfeeding won’t make you lose weight unfortunately BUT with an appropriate and most importantly nutritious diet plan, you will be able to lose the weight and sustain your milk supply.
First of all, please note that I am not a dietician. I'm writing this based on my experience with my two children and it worked for me with both and didn't affect my milk supply at all and made me lose all the weight while I was still breastfeeding.
So first things first let’s set some rules:
1) You can’t cut carbs completely from your diet, you need it for your energy and for the quality of your milk.
2) You can’t starve yourself. You will lose your supply.
3) Drink a lot a lot a lot of water. It’s the main ingredient that will give you a good supply
4) Don’t overstress, it will take time to lose the weight and even if you do, don’t expect to get your pre pregnancy shape directly it will also take time to have it back.
5) Don’t start this diet or any diet before your milk supply is well established (around 6 weeks post delivery or more) whenever you are ready! It’s ok to take some time off!
As I have mentioned, I started this diet when my baby turned six weeks old or maybe more, and managed to lose some weight. I’m still on it.
The rules to follow are simple: Replace your food with healthy and nutritious ones, Cut unnecessary sugars like chocolate and unhealthy snacks and replace them with yummy guilt free ones, Cut carbs ONLY at night and EXERCISE. Exercising might be the hardest part for you, don’t overdo it 30 minutes cardio will do the job. I know you barely have time as a new mom, if you cant hit the gym find ways at your own comfort to exercise (hit the stairs in the building, no seriously, take a walk with your baby, walk around the house... but exercise) it will boost your metabolism and of course will make you lose the weight much much faster! I am using an amazing app called fitplan (its paid but they have free classes too), it helped a lot when I cant hit the gym (a lot lately) where I can exercise in the comfort of my own house with my kids. Super effective.
See? Easy! To make it easier on you here’s a typical meal plan with various options of my days. Just alternate and don’t expect quantities, our bodies are different and we are breastfeeding, we are not allowed to starve ourselves so if you’re hungry, EAT but teach yourself how to eat healthy!
Healthy Breakfast ideas:
- 1 oat bread (I use the moulin d’or) + Labneh or 1 egg or Cheese (Accaoui is the best but whatever u feel like) or turkey or Fava beans bowl (slowly on the olive oil) beans are considered half protein and half carbs.
- Oat meal
- Cereals (with no added sugar, i use the go lean ones) with full fat milk (dont abuse the milk)
- 1 fruit of choice
- Fruit salad prepared ahead of time
ANYTHING home made . Whatever you feel like having ( I eat the dish I cooked for my family.) sometimes it’s a Lebanese homemade dish (contains both proteins and carbs) that includes rice of course (please don’t cut carbs), but I cook it as healthily with tiny or no amounts of fat (oils) and I use brown rice as a side dish, other times it’s grilled chicken or beef wraps, spaghetti bolognaise, healthy lasagna (without the bechamel sauce only red home made sauce: If you want to know how I make my home made tomato sauce that replaces tomato paste and purée send me an email), And always start with a Salad. You can also download the Recipe ebook of Mirna and Baraa Sabbagh here : It has amazing and healthy recipes for breakfast, lunch snacks and dinner.
My favorite salad recipe: Sucrine lettuce, Cucumber, tomatoes, arugula (I get the mixed green leaves box from Marqet and add it) just add any vegetable you like with the following sauce: Dijon mustard, Lemon, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper.
- My guilt free chocolate ice cream
- Fruit of choice
- Fruit salad (homemade and no added sugar)
- Small bites of dark chocolate
- 1 spoon (big) of peanut butter, almond butter or fitella (with no added sugar) Fitnomz have the best
- 1 of Fitnomz yummy and healthy snacks (cookies, cupcake, brownie...)
- 1 cup of pop corn (air popped or tiny amount of oil)
This is the only meal where you are allowed to cut carbs. Here’s some examples: of carb free dinners. Remember to start your meal with a salad ( you can prepare the salad for lunch and dinner ahead of time to have it ready at night, but don’t mix it with the sauce until you serve)
- Tuna with lemon, salt and pepper: eat it with lettuce wrap (add it to the salad or eat it separately)
- Grilled halloumi with cucumbers
- Accaoui cheese (not grilled, it will melt) with cucumbers
- Grilled fish or shrimps
- Grilled steak or Chicken (you can add any ready made sauce for marination, just make sure it doesn’t contain a lot of sugars) with steamed vegetables (instead of the salad)
- Turkey and cheese wraps (wrapped in turkey)
In Between meals if you feel hungry or crave sugar
Don’t grab a bar of chocolate or an unhealthy snack whenever you feel hungry in between meals or crave sugar but also don’t starve yourself. Drink water, if you’re still hungry you can either eat a very small amount of your lunch again (skip the carbs here) or eat raw vegetables (if you have time you can make a salad) like cucumber, carrots, lettuce... If you’re craving sugar, take a fruit.
So this is basically what my day look like most of the time, with a cheat meal during the weekend. Remember the basic rules: Cut unnecessary and unhealthy sugar, Cut carbs only at night and replace everything you eat with YUMMY and healthy alternatives (less oil, less fat, control the quantities...) and don’t forget to EXERCISE.